in Uncategorized

Florida Marriage Licenses & Marriage Certificates Now Recognized by the Social Security Administration

marriage license

On January 6th, a ruling was passed down legalizing gay marriage in Florida. The ruling allows same sex couples to apply for marriage licenses in the state of Florida. It also allows them to use certified marriage certificates from Florida (post ruling date) to file for a name change.

Same sex newlyweds rejoiced and attempted to initiate the married name change process…but unfortunately experienced push back at Social Security. Despite having newly legalized marriage certificates, couples were denied being issued a new Social Security card by Social Security clerks. It’s challenging enough to take a day off of work, complete the SS-5 form correctly, source all of the the necessary legal filing documents, and stand in line to get your new Social Security card as a newlywed. To jump through all of these bureaucratic hoops and then be told you can’t change to your married name would be beyond annoying!

It seems that Florida congressman Alan Graceman penned a note about this discrimination to the to Social Security Administration. In response, the Social Security Administration updated their married name change policy to include Florida. Now all Florida newlyweds can file for a marriage license, receive a marriage certificate and change to their married names, regardless of their sexual orientation.

*Original story coverage from Orlando Weekly

Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Help other engaged couples with a comment! Did you find this info useful, how was your office experience, did you like/dislike a particular clerk? Share a comment, and as a perk save $5 on the MissNowMrs married name change service! (Your email address will not be published.)

Leave a Comment *
You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>
Your name*